Ballantrae Bowling Green started
Diseased salmon found in River Stinchar
Herd of 28 cattle at Garphar broke down a fence and entered Laggan House Wood where they ate yew trees which poisoned them. With medication, all except one were saved.
One of the eight standing stones known as the Grey Stanes of Garleffin, visible on the 1839 Ordnance Survey map, was blown up by a farmer
Coach service, afterwards a horse bus, running twice daily between Stranraer and Girvan. Possibly driven by a Mr McIntyre. Girvan to Ballantrae journey time was two to three hours.
The schooner 'Circassian', sailing from Dundalk to Troon during a fearful gale, was wrecked near Glendrishaig with loss of one crew member. Two crew members were saved by Peter Murdoch and his men using ropes, "at considerable risk to life".
Laggan Estate sold by David MacGibbon
The Scotsman Newspaper reported an unusual bird seen in Ballantrae, being a cross between a cock pheasant and a grey hen. The bird allows one to approach it quite closely, and walks slowly with a peculiar strutting gait.
Silver Medal of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution awarded to Peter Murdoch of Glendrishaig, plus £3 to three of his men, for saving two crew members from the stricken schooner 'Circassian'.
There were four schools outside the village: Auchenflower, Ballochdowan, Glenapp, and Shennas
Carrick Directory gave population of Ballantrae parish as 736 males and 704 females, of which 742 resided in the village. Herring harvest value was £40,000-£50,000. Village had three Public Houses, a Post Office & Telegraph Office, a Public Reading Room & Library, a Lodge of Good Templars, and a Golf and Tennis Club with 60 members.
John Coulter and John Hannah were drowned when their boat overturned as they were preparing to go fishing for salmon at Lady Bay
Four lives lost when the Irish schooner 'Aimwell' wrecked at Redburn on its way from Arklow to Troon
Ballantrae School advertised in The Scotsman newspaper for a male teacher at salary of £50 per annum
Mr James Wason pressed for a larger harbour to be built. About 400 boats were engaged in the Ballantrae fishing at this time.
Massive storm washed away part of the Ballantrae to Girvan road, and the high tide flooded village houses. The harbour was greatly damaged with some foundation stones removed.
Lighthouse built on Ailsa Craig
1887 River Stinchar
School Board resolved to abolish fees for the infant class and Standards I to V from 1st October. Fees also reduced to a farthing a month for Standard VI and EX VI. This was designed to eventually establish free education.
Ardstinchar Castle and the Kennedy Mausoleum (Bargany Aisle) were described and illustrated in Volume 3 of 'The Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland'. Its co-author David MacGibbon had owned Laggan Estate until 1881.