Bridge built over the River Stinchar in Ballantrae village, commenced 1773 and completed after 1777. Believed for many years to have been built using stones quarried from Ardstinchar Castle, however more recent research in the papers of the Ayrshire Commissioners of Supply shows that the bridge's stones were brought by boat from a quarry at Culzean and hewn on site. The castle's stones may therefore have already been substantially quarried for other local buildings such as the King's Arms Inn and several cottages.
In March 1771, the Joseph, John Kneen master, landed contraband from Dunkirk at Ballantrae. Charles Earl helped to unship 50 casks containing 500 gallons of brandy and two boxes filled with 150 lb. of tea that had been brought on shore by local boats. According to one of the boatmasters, JohnWilson, these goods were then carried to Earl’s house.
The Providence and the Morning Early were headed from Dunkirk to Ballantrae in mid April 1775. Martin Campbell, mate of the Prince of Wales revenue sloop, seized the Providence off the Mull of Kintyre. Her cargo included: 406 ankers containing 3,192 gallons rum, 37 ankers containing 280 gallons brandy, 6 ankers containing 40 gallons geneva [gin], 71 boxes containing 5,502 lb. tea, 10 barrels containing 658 lb. tea, part of a box containing 32 lb. tea, assorted materials and a small basket containing 12 tea cups & saucers. When the Providence was seized, the Morning Early changed her course and escaped. She was captured shortly afterwards, however, by James Crawford of the Cumbraes revenue cutter.