Glenapp Estate up for sale

Discussions regarding proposal that North British Railway would acquire a Ballantrae rail line and make a pier to run steamers to Larne, benefitting businessmen


Addition to Ballantrae Parish Church of a clock turret with gables, finials and a tiny fleche.  Architect was David MacGibbon who'd owned Laggan Estate until 1881.  The bell was cast by John Taylor & Co. of Loughborough.

Owners of houses around this time were:

Finnarts – Hew Fergussone Kennedy

Glenapp House – James Hunter

Glenapp Lodge – G. Oliver

Balkissock – Arthur Hughes-Onslow

Auchairne – J. N. Donaldson


Robert McWhirter was schoolmaster until 1926

Golf Course alterations and improvements made by Thomas Ramsay of Troon, under the direction of William Fernie who'd won the Open Championship ten years previously

President of Ballantrae Bowling Club 1893-4 was G. McCaig

A Business Directory published this year noted that Ballantrae was "rapidly rising as a favourite resort for visitors", and featured an advert for "THE FAMED BALLANTRAE TOUR"


Tenders invited for the supply of materials and construction of over a mile of sewers and sea outfall in the village, and for enlarging the reservoir at Smyrton

Golf subscription priced at five shillings for gentlemen and half that price for ladies.  Golf Club had 123 gentlemen members and 25 ladies.

1894 ladies on Main Street


J. Leckie served as Bowling Club President until 1900


Ballantrae lifeboat was despatched on its carriage to Lendalfoot to go to the assistance of a small steamer which was flying distress signals in Lendal Bay.  The lifeboat was launched a mile windward of the steamer, which was about 1000 yards from the shore.  All on board the steamer were rescued.


During a telegraph breakdown on a rainy night, Mr McKenna and Mr C. Lawson cycled 13 miles from Girvan on a tandem to deliver a message about a stricken vessel

1898 boat at harbour

1898 Main Street

 People in and around Ballantrae listed in 'Ayrshire, Dumfriesshire, Wigtownshire and Kircudbrightshire business directory'  1893 

Baker: James Wason

Blacksmiths: David Clark

Charles Lindie, Ballochdowan

James Tait

Boot and Shoe Maker:

William Eglesham

Grocers and Drapers:

Thomas Barns

Andrew W. Dick

Elizabeth Johnston

Thomas Lamb (also ironmonger & coal merchant)

 Janet McDonald

William McTyer

Jane Peebles

John Phillips

Elizabeth Thomson (also fancy goods & china merchant)

Hotels and Posting Establishments:

John Walker – King's Arms 

Innkeepers and Vintners:

David McTyer

John Turnbull – Anchor Tavern


Andrew Blane, Heronsford

David McKenna

T. Walker


William Stewart


William Fullarton


Andrew McKissock

Josiah McKissock

Hugh Campbell, Lendalfoot


Robert Powell 


J. Brisbane, Polcardoch

Hugh Brown, High Kilphin

Hugh Campbell, Leffindonald

A. Ferguson, Altimeg

Andrew Loudon, Arnomoil [?Ardnemoil, Glenapp]

Alexander & John McCaw, South Garphar

John McCulloch, Laggan

O. & J. McIlwrick, Arecleoch

John Mackie, Smirton

William McNeil, Big Park

W. & R. McNiven, Kilwhannel

James Milroy, Dupin

William Murray, Garphar

Joseph Semple, Balkissock

John Stevenson, Balig

William Stewart, Colling Mill

Robert Thomson, Auchencrosh

James P. Willison, Shennas

  • Ballantrae Community Fund
  • Carrick-Futures-Logo
  • Kilgallioch-Community-Fund
  • Aria Logo